12.14.2006

happy holidays

The holiday season has every child at school acting crazy. Some are depressed and angry, while others are so excited and rambunctious that they can not sit still or stop talking for even a minute. Needless to say, I've had to hand out a few more detentions than normal, and I have received abnormal responses from the kids. Some cry. Some curse at me and storm out of the classroom, and teh others don't seemed bothered and usually don't even bother to show up.

I forgot how hard the holiday season can be for children who know that they are not getting much. Hearing their friends talk about everything they want and what they are getting can be really bothersome when you don't have much to contribute to that type of conversation. There have been numerous thefts at my school this past week or so. Two teachers' wallets, a blackberry, money, lockers being broken into, etc. I have had to give the "lock everything and make sure your valuables are secure" speech all too many times. I also find myself telling them that sometimes people get desperate around the holidays and that they just want to have something to give to someone, or have something for themselves that they can not get from "santa", and that while some of you may be angry that you do not feel safe in this room, that we should feel sad for people that feel like they need to do this. Surprisingly, my students were very mature about it all, and agreed with me without argument (rare thing!).

All of this makes me want to do something really nice for my students. Even after a day like today; no one listening, people breaking our rules left and right, cursing at me, not doing homework, not even attempting classwork, etc., I still want to do give them something to look forward to. I am thinking that I'll have an Exam on Wednesday, and a party on Thursday. Something fun, light-hearted, and somewhat educational.

This year, I am really looking forward to xmas. For the first time ever, I have some money, and I bought everyone a cool gift that is unexpected and probably a bit more than I should have done. It feels good though. I can't wait to see Ray's face, and Jimmy's face, and Dad's and Mom's, and.. well, everyones! I especially love spending xmas morning at Ray's parents. I don't know what it is, but his family just seems so happy xmas morning. I love that his mom cries whenever someone gives her a nice gift! She's the best!!!

Anyway, if you've read this far, I hope you all have a wonderful holiday. And, If you're a teacher, enjoy the well-deserved time off!!!

No comments: